Week #3

Sunday, October 1, 2017

Using and evaluating storytelling website: storybird.com










Education is the most powerful weapon which you can use to change the world.

-Nelson Mandela-
  Using and evaluating storytelling website: storybird.com  






Generative Questions:
How is Internet shaping our educational settings?
How can a teacher be prepared to use technology in the classroom?





It is reasonable to think that education could represent a window of opportunities; apart from this, it is no secret that most educated people could have a better view of life, or at least I believe so, anyway. The main idea is to take advantage on my experiences in order to achieve my goals. As I see it, education become my passage to success.

Why is education important?   

With this video, it is possible to comprehend our topic a little more.



The Use and Evaluation of Storybird

First of all, let`s us try to understand what Storybird is? For me, it is a website where I can make my own stories using images; added to that, I can publish them for others to see. As a future teacher, I could encourage learners to use this website in order to:
 
  • read stories

  • make up their own story

  • develop a storybook as a group, among others


I have good news, as we love things for free! Let me tell you that Storybird is free for all users. Great! This brings up to the question of how can we create an account? Well, each account needs a username, password, and an e-mail address.

It is important to take into account that Storybird was created to let kids to interact with others. The main idea is their parents or friends can design art-inspired stories.


By the way; we must not forget that, it is also a very popular device used by educators. Now, teachers can familiarize this important tool into their educational programs and interact with their learners. Students select a specific art presented on the site with the purpose of building a story. Summary, learners create a new story using several images which can be shared with everybody. Remember it! Storybird inspires students ‘creativity and if that was not enough, this is a web tool that supports teamwork. In fact, Russell (2013) mentions that:
 
Storybird, allows students to organize their thinking in several important ways. First, students are able to plan their stories following the simple format of the program. Then can add or take away pages as needed for their story and can insert or delete images in these pages as needed. (p138)


 The million-dollar question! 







How do I use Storybird?




Below, I will show you the steps of using this tool.

Please, pay attention, just once I'll tell you. ☺☺☺☺☺☺☺☺☺☺

Students can select their story based on images. Furthermore, they can select an art, themes, and challenges. I believe that learners could fun in this exciting adventure. After pupils have finished their story, they must then publish it. On top of that, there is some things you can select related the publishing.

These details are: 
  • the summary Tags
  • whether the Storybird is private or public
  • the age range for your story.
  • design
  • art
  • needs
  • story
  • time


Tutorial on "How to use Storybird"





There are many advantages of using Storybird. 


  • it is free. That gives our low-income students an opportunity to participate in a creative experience.
  • Storybird focuses on story-making as a collaborative process.

  • the website makes the process of collaborating, or "taking turns," very easy.

  • it allows for teachers, friends and family to edit and help the author throughout the story. Storybird also gives the option of keeping a story private until the student is ready to

  • the artwork is enough to inspire students to create stories even if they come to the website with nothing in mind.


Some disadvantages of Storybird relate to the artwork.
  • the artwork, as beautiful as it is, is quite limited.
  • students are left to a rather small bank of illustrations to work with. It is also very difficult to search for artwork.
  • you can type in key words or illustrator names but there is not much variety in what comes up.
  •  with such limitation in artwork, students may end up frustrated

Now, I am going to write about my interesting experience using the tool




This is an interesting experience because I spent many hours practicing with this tool; as well as, taking pictures in order to create a new story. As soon as, I understood the instructions I began with my story’s design. This story was about Jack and his family. This story is product of my imagination, but to be honest, I had fun with this platform.


This is my address on Storybird.

https://storybird.com/chapters/jack-and-the-lake-1/?token=6cr8r5w76v










No comments:

Post a Comment